Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Best team in the nation

Although my top 10 say's differently, with LSU being #1 and Alabama #2, I think the best team in the ntaion is Alabama.  LSU, I would say is a remotely close 2nd, but both teams are head and shoulder's above the rest of the nation.  The only other team I would put in the same zipcode as these teams is Wisconsin but they are still far behind. 

Some might argue LSU has the played the tougher schedule and shuold be #1 and the best team.  They have played a tougher schedule and there defense is arguably just as good if not better than Alabama's, but I think they just have more depth on Defense.  Alabama has the tougher D, and nobody really jumps off the page and grabs my attention on offense for LSU.

Alabama on the other hand, has played a less tough schedule, bu I still say it is pretty tough.  Any time you go to Penn State and win, says something; they beat a very high power offensive Arkansas team, and they just dismantled a Florida team with alot of speed.  I was in the Swamp 3 weeks ago for the UF UT game, and was impressed with Demps and Rainey's speed, well they had 15 yards of rushing for the game. oops, someone forgot to tell Bama's D that these guys were world class sprinters and it was going to be a long day for them.
Speaking Alabama's D, I see them as really good and a bunch of lunch pail guys.  Yes the have names like Barron and Hightower, but they play very well as a group.  They do not have the big names like an Ed Reed or Ray Lewis to write home about.  Are Barron and Hightower good, yes but they are surronded by great guys and not one single guy gets all the credit.  The best thing I like about them and this is why I call them lunch pail guys, is they just go out and execute the game plan, nothing showy or flashy, the occasional bone jarring hit, but that is in every game, they show up play hard for 60 minutes and go home.  They might give up the big play to s art the game, but once they know what you are doing Coach Saban is THE BEST in the nation at making adjustments and they just smother you to death the rest of the game.
This is just the Defense let me get to offense now.  The question coming into the season was AJ McCarron, what will he do, will he be good enough.  Well, he is doing everything they have asked of him.  This is pretty easy when you have Trent Richardson, which by the way, had 181 yards on the ground and 27 through the air and 2 tds Saturday night in the swamp, and Eddie Lacy in the back field;  Your offensive line is really good and just pushed , Florida's D line off the ball by 5 yards it seemed like every play.  You have a receiving threat like Maze, which I noticed last year when I was in Baton Rouge, and thought that this kid is good, but gets no pub due to Julio. 
With weapons like this on offense and a suffocating Defense led by Barron and Hightower, it is a no brainer to me that Alabama is the best team in the nation.

No comments:

Post a Comment